Wednesday, September 23, 2015

How to Travel Via Carry-On



On Thursday I'll be air-bound and on my way to Utah to visit one of my best friends/pseudo-sisters who just got married. Let it be known that I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED.She also has an adorable little daughter (a.k.a. muffin) that I've been sewing up a storm for. (I've been throwing around the idea of creating a tutorial/DIY post for the mini sundresses. If you would be interested in reading something like that, leave a comment!)


But before I can get swept up in the excitement of going on some big jet planes, first things first. 


Things to Know About Your Bags

My ticket is economy and I kind of refuse to pay extra for a checked bag. I did some research on baggage limitations/requirements and realized that it's not that hard to get around checking a bag. United Airlines posted some handy images on their website that show the dimensions of the bags you can take on a plane. (Always double check with your airline to see what you can and can't bring!)

"Personal Item" Max. Dimensions

Carry-on Bag Max. Dimensions

See? Not too shabby.

I'll be stuffing my purse into a beat-up backpack and then taking an extra tote. Be sure to also check out the liquids limitations (they're pretty darn tiny). This other picture from TSA's page demonstrates it pretty well:
Liquids Rule
Thankfully, I'll get to bootleg some toiletries from my pal out in UT, but if you can't, there are a couple of items that help in a pinch in place of liquid soaps. My number one go-to is baby powder - it's a real miracle worker. You can use it like a dry shampoo on your roots and it's mere pennies in comparison. There are also multiple kinds of wipes - face wash, make-up removing, etc. that are fine replacements, too.

Tips of the Trade




1. Think in layers. Make like a pack mule during airport days and throw on a coat + scarf that you can take off later to save some bag space.

2. If you reeeally need more space, try packing some pieces in Ziploc's and sealing them air tight. Cottons roll up well and don't look too bad wrinkly. I mean, wrinkly and worn is basically just "grunge" soo... 

3. Remember to wear shoes that can slip off quick without being a hassle during TSA checks. Hurrah for it still being sandals season. 

4. If you bring your laptop, be ready to whip it out during TSA - it has to be scanned separately. (It only takes being publicly shamed by some sassy workers once to remember that...)


Actually Carrying On



Recently, I've been reminded that the experience of being twenty-something means getting used to change. And man, recovering from life changes can be exhausting. I'm hoping this long weekend will be just the Eat - Pray - Love I've been needing.

xo - E


P.s. Mountain pics coming soon.




Images viavia, via, via

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the comment! We love hearing from you!